In class today I read aloud the book "Duck for President". The book was chosen to connect with the current election and as a model for thinkng about main event in stories. As soon as I shared the title with the class and explained that we chose it because we are in an election time now, hands flew up to share.
One boy asked, "Didn't the election happen last night?" I explained that last night was a debate between the candidates. Another student shared that he heard Obama was ahead and others wanted to know what that meant. We talked for a few minutes about the election and I told the students I was excited to hear that they were following along with it. In ELED 425 (social studies) we have been reading and talking a lot about teaching children about voting and elections. It is awesome to see kids connect and take an interest with this election.
Thursday, October 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment