Today was dancing day again. I am pretty sure the entire school looks forward to Thursdays. Here is a photo of me dancing with one of the girls (the dance instructor saw my camera and grabbed it). I spent half my day with the little girls and half my day subbing in 1st class. It was a beautiful spring day and everyone was full of energy.I've decided to write a bit more information about the school and students. The following are some fun facts and random bits of information.
- Uniforms vary by grade level. Junior and senior infants wear navy sweat suit uniforms. Girls in 1st-6th class wear gray dresses and white shirts or gray skirts and red "jumpers" (sweaters). Uniforms help lower socioeconomic differences among students. Plus they make deciding what to wear in the morning a LOT easier!
- We have two students in junior infants learning English as a second language. The girls are both originally from Poland. At St. Brigid's there are two language instructors and one assistant teacher that pull small groups of students learning English out for a half hour each day.
- There are many teaching practices I've seen implemented here that I learned about at Western. One is an emphasis on place-based education. In the junior infant room, there is a lot of emphasis on knowing where you from. The girls often practice naming the town, county, country, and continent they live in. We talk about local events and happenings in the community. When I first came and we talked about where I live, it was from the context of where is America in relation to Ireland. Another practice I've seen used a lot is incorporation of student voice. Students often do pair shares with their neighbors. They have circle share time and movement, where they each have at least one turn to share with the class or another student. Girls are often called upon during lessons to share an experience or idea related to the topic.
- Interschool communication involves pairs of students delivering messages (students absolutely love doing this). Teachers do not have school e-mail addresses.
- There are six school rules: Be in the right place at the right time; Be prepared; Do what you're asked when you're asked; Move quietly when allowed; Know when, where, and how to talk; Treat other people and their property with respect.
- My favorite feature of the hallway is a 10 gallon fish tank with cichlids.
- Finally, I have to share about the staff room. It is incredible. There is a very sweet and kind volunteer who comes in and arranges beautiful flowers from the gardens, puts out fresh pots of tea and cream during breaks, and sets each place with a ceramic plate and teacup. I feel like I'm in a royal tea room when I walk in!

Library and Calendar Area

1 comment:
Cute picture of you dancing Lauren - teach me when you get home! Love Mom
Post a Comment