Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Crazy Day

It's been a pretty insane day but I thought I'd do a quick post before rushing off to bed. No time to upload new photos, but here is one of the Junior Infants room.

As soon as I got into school this morning I was asked by the principal to substitute teach in the 1st class room for the first half of the day. I had a lot of fun teaching in a different classroom. The students were really sweet. We mostly did some reading and math. I finished my lunch quickly so I could spend some time with the kids on the play field.

The 5th class teacher asked if I could come into her classroom to talk a bit about where I'm from and answer questions about America, which I did in the afternoon. When I came into the classroom, the teacher had me spontaneously lead a reading activity before I began my talk. I shared the book my American students made and the letters they wrote, which the girls absolutely loved. The 5th class students had a million questions for me- Have you met any famous people? Have you been to the white house? What words do you spell differently? Do kids have to wear uniforms? Do things we say ever confuse you?

After school I rushed off to the house then to Bray to see a play one of the other student teachers worked on with her students. The 4th year students (sophomores) did Pirates of Penzance and it was absolutely incredible. It didn't get out until after 10:00 and it took over an hour to get back by train/bus.

It's been a long day and I'm ready for some sleep. :)

1 comment:

Deb said...

Sounds like a very busy - but very fun and full day! The kids sound like they really enjoy you a lot and that the teaching staff has confidence in you. Good Work! Love mom