Friday, March 20, 2009

Friday


I'm off to the other student teachers' house in a few minutes but I thought I would write a quick post before I go.

One neat thing about St. Brigid's is that it is a certified green school. To become a green school, there are several things your school needs to have in place. Each classroom as well as the teachers' lounge has a composting bin. There are also recycling bins in each room. Classrooms have notices posted reminding people to turn off lights and close doors. There is also a notice by the copier with the policy on limited copy use. Students will also help with various projects outside such as caring for the garden. Schools that become green schools get a huge flag to put out front. I've noticed some other green school flags around towns on my bus rides.

Today I led a Mother's Day card making activity (Mum's Day is Sunday here). I made up copies of cards that read "Mum, you are special because" and had the girls draw pictures of why their mums are special (we first had a classroom brainstorm of ideas). I went around and wrote what the girls told me about why their mum is special. We laminated the cards when they were complete. I think they turned out really cute.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

That's cool that the school has gone green! And what adorable Mum's day cards!

Unknown said...

The teacher's lounge has to stink a little! Food composting all week...