Monday, March 16, 2009

A Day in Howth


At the suggestion of my host family, I visited this really great fishing town today called Howth. To get there, I took the bus into Dublin and the train from there (about an hour and a half trip total). Marie was very sweet and packed me a sandwich for lunch that I ate on the train while I looked out the window at the little towns I passed through.

If you ever get to Ireland and need something to see, I highly recommend visiting Howth. (My guide book didn't have an entry for it.) It is extremely scenic perfect for walking around, which is really all that I did here.

Howth is at the end of a peninsula that you can actually see from Dun Laoghaire. There is a great park, nice rocky beach area, and of course- green hills.

When the train returned to Dublin, I walked around O'Connell Street (the main street in Dublin) for a bit before heading back to Dun Laoghaire. There are tons of tourists here. Everyday seems like St. Patrick's Day with all of the decorations both on the streets and people, so I can't even imagine what tomorrow is going to be like.

I arrived back in Dun Laoghaire just as the sun was setting.

No comments: