Here a few photos I took the other day around Dublin. I'm back in the city today and will post more about the events that occur at a later time. In the first photo, the mannequin on the right is wearing an Obama t-shirt that reads, "O'bama- It's great to be Irish." The Irish are really proud of the fact that our president has Irish in his heritage. (They love the Kennedys, too.)Although there are many similarities we have on St. Patrick's Day, there are some differences. No one will pinch you if you don't wear green. And kids don't believe in leprechauns.
The following are some interesting excerpts from a book my mom got me called, L
ittle Known Things about Well Known Places: Ireland. (Thanks again for the book, Mom! I actually read some parts out loud to my neighbors on the plane who were intrigued)."St. Patrick, whose real name was believed to be Maewyn Succat, was Welsch, not Irish. It is not known if March 17 was the date of his birth, or his death."
"In Ireland, March 17 has always been a national holiday, but for the most part, a religious one; a time for quiet refletion. In fact, it was only as recently as the 1970s that the pu
bs were open, and it was not until the mid-1900s that Ireland (literally) joined the parade and launched what has become the largest celebration of St. Patrick in the world."

1 comment:
Thanks for getting your blog going. I will update the class on your encounters. They are covered in green today, some didn't. ( I think on purpose.) We scrambled to make pipe cleaner shamrocks this morning.
Post a Comment